Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I {heart} hummus


So. What day are we on? 162...going on 163.  Goodness. That's a big number...and that means about 202 days to go. Give or take. Probably more on the "give" side...  It's a daily adventure and I'm loving the journey.  Every day is a little different. That's what makes this all so delightful and fun! Do I still miss *ahem* "real" food?  Um...every once in a while.  

Mostly I miss coffee, meat, and hummus.

How random is that?  Very.

When I first went raw, I missed hummus something awful.  I scoured the web for a raw hummus recipe and of course, found a few!  I wanted to make it legit as possible and use garbanzo beans...which I would have to sprout.  Almost every comment I found on such recipes said that using sprouted garbanzo beans is basically the worst decision ever.  Also, almost every comment said that hummus made from sprouted garbanzo beans is, in a word, disgusting.  

Did I heed such advice?  *pfft* Of course not.
Were they correct?  Um. They were. Of course.

I tried. I really did. Twice!! Maybe I should have gone with the old saying that "the third time's the charm."  But I'm pretty sure whoever said that, never tried to make this hummus.  People. It was not good. Not a bit. The sprouted beans gave it a bitter and musty taste.  I wasted garlic. I wasted tahini. I wasted time. *sniff*  I'm over it.

Mostly cause I found an alternative.  Now, the people who said they loathed "sprouted bean hummus" also mentioned that they loved another hummus recipe floating around out there that uses zucchini.  I thought that sounded weird. How could that even work?  But it does! It totally does.  Granted, it doesn't taste exactly like the real thing, but hey....I'm not complaining. Not after the "sprouted bean" nightmare... *shudder*

Raw Zucchini Hummus
(yields over 3 cups; you can easily cut this recipe in half)

3 zucchini, chopped
½ cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 cup raw tahini (pick this up at Whole Foods!)
4 tbsp olive oil
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
Few dashed onion powder

Vitamix (or blender) instructions:
Put all ingredients in your Vitamix and blend to a rich perfection!

Food processor instructions:
Same as above. You may have a hard time blending the sesame seeds, so I recommend soaking them for a few hours first, halving the recipe, and stopping frequently to scape the bowl. You can also omit the seeds entirely, but in that case I also recommend omitting the olive oil to keep a thick consistency.

Try with veggies or on salad! Both are delish.

Hey. Enjoy.
Chow!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I'd like to try it! :)

    Have you ever tried raw red lentil hummus? I made it once and it was pretty good actually. I got the recipe here:

    http://www.sweetpotatosoul.com/2011/02/raw-red-lentil-hummus.html#comment-form

    You might like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, you are strong; I am an absolute maniac without coffee. This sounds very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww, you are strong; I am an absolute maniac without coffee. This sounds very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sheila! I've never tried red lentil hummus...I've never even heard of it! I'm sure I would like it! Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

    @bakerbynature, yes, going without coffee has been tough. However, I have been known to make exceptions from time to time. ;) Thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete