Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I adore Bumble Bars


Well...

I've been negligent in my blogging...not because I don't want to write. I've missed it. Writing about these raw adventures of mine helps me keep the fire burning. I don't want the fire to die. Not ever. Cause raw is awesome. :)

The main reasons for my negligence are as follows:
   1)   I’ve been ridiculously busy with work.  Seriously. Ask anyone.
   2)   I've been at a loss for what to write about. 
   3)   I wanted to wait till I bought my camera *sigh* Alas, that still hasn't happened. You're getting an update anyway.


So what's happened since I last posted? I flew on a plane. I went to Texas. Both were incredible. Absolutely incredible. I can't wait to go back! I adore Texas.  


Also, I drank coffee. A lot. It was delicious. I adore coffee too. And I must admit…I still miss it. Oh oh! I wanna give a shout out to the Lindsey family who hosted me while I was there.... You guys are beyond amazing and generous. I felt so welcomed. :) Mucho love!



Something else I adore is Bumble Bars. You can find them at Whole Foods for over a dollar (not sure of the exact price). They are organic, vegan, gluten free, and utterly scrumptious. I love them...but not the cost. And they aren't raw. I decided to be enterprising and look for a recipe online to adapt and make my own. Success!!  Here's the original recipe I found. Bumble Bars

And here's my recipe…not changed all that much.

What you need:
1 ½-2 cups sesame seeds
3/4 cup almond meal
½ cup flax seeds, ground
1/2 chopped almonds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

To finish it off:
Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix until fully incorporated.  You made need to add the extra ½ cup of sesame seeds to make it less sticky. Spread mixture in pan and refrigerate for about 2 hours.  Cut into bars and wrap individually. Store in fridge.

Basically, all I did was switch out the brown rice syrup and evaporated cane syrup for honey, which is way better in my opinion. Plus, since we have bees, then I get home grown, raw honey! Yum. :)

I’m gonna try different combinations with this recipe, just like the official Bumble Bar… How do these sound?  And more ideas! (more flavors).

Tropical (pineapple and coconut)
Lemon
Chococherry (cherries and chocolate)
Chocolate Cashew (chocolate, cashews, agave)
Chai

I did take a picture or two of these sweet snacks…however, every once in a while, I seem to repel technology. So you’ll have to wait for a picture...

Chow!

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried a Bumble Bar before and I don't intend to. I'm gonna make your version instead! :) The recipe looks wonderful and I know I would love them! Would be great with some chopped dates in them too!

    I've got a question for ya though before I make them. Should I toast the pumpkin and sesame seeds or not?

    You also mentioned that Bumble Bars aren't raw. Is that because of the honey? If I use raw honey instead of regular honey and don't toast the seeds will that make it a raw bar?

    Also, do you have any idea how long these might last in the fridge? I'm also curious if you've tried freezing them.

    Anyway, I can't wait to make these! They're so nutritious and full of fiber and I'm sure they taste great! :)

    Sorry you've been so busy at work. Hope things will slow down for you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Yay!! :) Oh yes, dates would be delicious too!

    I've never toasted the pumpkin or sesame seeds before, and they've always turned out great. The Bumble Bars in the store aren't raw because they have brown rice syrup in them and are baked. Yes! Use raw honey and raw seeds to make the raw version.

    I'm not sure how long they would last in the fridge. I usually eat mine within a week or two? And I'm sure you could freeze them! Just pack 'em well. :)

    Thanks for the comment, Sheila! I always enjoy hearing from you. :) I hope the recipe turns out for you...let me know how it goes and what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Janet! I'll probably make this after I finish some cookies I made (orange butter cookies with a sunflower butter chocolate filling). Then I'll make the bars and probably freeze several of them. They'll be a great energy bar to take to work on Sundays when I work double shifts and have only 10 minutes to eat.

    I'm sure I'll love them and I can't wait to try them! I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh! Those cookies sound killer! I hope to see the recipe on your blog. I'm sure my family would love them. :) Yes, the bars are fantastic to take places...perfect to hide a few in your purse for whenever hunger strikes.

    I did have a wonderful 4th, thank you! I was working all day, but it was still enjoyable. :) I hope your holiday was fun!

    ReplyDelete