Wednesday, July 20, 2011

raw key lime lovin'

Who doesn’t love cheesecake? I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t…

Oh wait. Nevermind. I do.

Anyway, do you know someone who doesn’t like cheesecake? Or chocolate? At all? I love chocolate in anything and *for* anything. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Snacks. I’ve done it all.

But today isn’t about chocolate. Maybe later on. Today is about cheesecake. Key lime cheesecake.

Raw.  Beautiful.  Divine.
Possible? Oh yes.

A few months ago, I was searching around on the web for a raw version of one of my favorite desserts. I love it cause it reminds me of summer.  It’s light and tangy and delicious.  Perfection! I found one and vowed to make it one day in the future.

The future is here! Today is the day.  Hooray!

Here’s where you can find the original recipe: key lime cheesecake (original)

Raw Key Lime Cheesecake

Crust
¼ cup pitted dates (I used honey dates)
½ cup coconut chips
A small handful of chopped walnuts
A scant ½ cup coconut cream concentrate

Filling
2 cups cashews (soaked 4 hours)
6 tablespoons coconut oil (liquid)
½ cup lime juice (the original recipe called for ¼ cup, but I like it “limey” tasting)
Juice from ½ a lemon
6 packets stevia (the original recipe called for ¼ cup agave nectar)
½ teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons water

Put the cashews in a bowl and cover with cold water.  Soak for four hours. Rinse, drain, set aside.

Pulse the dates, coconut, and walnuts in the food processor to a sticky, crumb-like consistency.  Add the coconut cream concentrate a little at a time until you get a dry dough consistency. Press crust mixture into a 8 inch pie plate.

Place cashews, coconut oil, lime juice, lemon juice, stevia, vanilla, and water in the food processor or high speed blender. Puree until smooth and then pour onto crust. Freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm. Slice while frozen, but defrost on counter or in the fridge.

Some thoughts about this key lime goodness:

One of the reasons I didn’t use macadamia nuts (original recipe) for the crust (besides the fact that I didn’t have any) is that nut crusts are so heavy tasting and I wanted to keep this dessert lightlight.  Coconut is the answer!

When I put the crust in the pan, I decided to stick in the freezer to let it “set”. Not too brilliant. The crust didn’t really stick to the filling because of that…so don’t do what I did.

Also, I used a springform pan for this recipe…but I think I should have either used a pie pan or doubled the filling recipe. It’s pretty thin, which is fine with me, but if I ever wanted to serve this to guests….yeah.

So tell me.  What’s your favorite summertime dessert?

Pictures! ...the best I can do for now...

the crust. with my fingerprints all over it. 


 have you had this? you must try it.


the cashews and coconut oil...waiting patiently. 


stevia and key lime juice (I'm not sure if that's raw or not. shh. don't tell.) 


oh yeah. I forgot to tell you...we got a new blender. 
*happyness infinity*


NINJA! 


final product. :)
"ooooh...ahhhh."

Chow!

3 comments:

  1. I dont like Cheesecake or Chocolate. But this here might just become an exception to that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm!!! I'd love to make this! But what are coconut chips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nathan, what? You don't like cheesecake either? I knew you didn't like chocolate...but cheesecake? ah well. This recipe is definitely an exception. ;) Thanks for your comment!

    @Sheila, oops! I guess I should have clarified...coconut chips are almost exactly like shredded coconut. Just bigger pieces! Here's where I buy mine (but you can definitely use shredded coconut in this recipe).
    http://www.nutsonline.com/driedfruit/coconut/unsweeted-chips.html

    ReplyDelete