Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 9 of 365: A Day in the Life of an Amateur “Raw Foodist.”

Because of the ice and snow hurling around outside, I’ve been at work for over 24 hours straight. And because of that, I’ve had a ton of time to read. I pretty much finished the “Living Raw Food Book.”  The more I read it, the more I felt strongly about 3 things. 

     1) Um.  If I could create or make half of the recipes in this book, I will be content and happy the rest of my days as a raw foodie. And this book has radically awesome pictures!! I <3.  Read it.
     2)    If Sarma and I ever met, I think we’d be good friends. Her personality is endearing…and her sense of humor is priceless.
     3)Can I repeat myself? I really wanna go visit Pure Food and Wine in Manhattan.  It sounds like heaven. Or pretty close. I’d love to just go and get a table for one or sit at the juice bar and soak in the atmosphere…watching as everyone creates raw food and enjoys life. Is it bad to want to go to New York for the first time just to visit a restaurant?

I need to tell you about my dinner last night. It was…delicious. I made a cold soup on Sunday evening so I would have it all ready to take with me yesterday.  The recipe made quite a bit, but that’s a plus for me. I can just put it aside and save for another meal.  I got this recipe off the website www.rawfamily.com.  It’s the Boutenko family’s website.  Here’s the recipe!

Mediterranean Soup
3 cups spinach
3 stalks celery
1 sprig oregano
1 sprig thyme
1 red bell pepper
1 large avocado
1 cucumber
1 jalapeño pepper (I actually used half of a large one)
1 lime, juiced (I used a lemon)
2 cups water
Yields 3 quarts

I’m learning that the order of ingredients in your blender is important…especially if you don’t have a high speed blender that can puree wood. (for real. The down low on the Vita mix is that it can puree wood. Unless it’s like an inside joke or something.)  I’d start with the cucumber, avocado, bell pepper, and lime juice first. Blend that. Then add the rest of the ingredients, slowly pouring in the water while the blender is running (if you can). This way the spinach doesn’t get “stuck” on the bottom.

The flavor in this soup is great! And since it’s not cooked, you can actually taste all the flavors in it…yay! Try it out! It’s not too hard and most of the ingredients are either easy to find, or you already have them in your fridge. :)

chow! 
.....haha. get it? hey don't roll your eyes at me....comedy is difficult.

4 comments:

  1. Bethany - your #1 fan!!February 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM

    So my first instinct is... where is the protein missy?? But perhaps that's just the rather unfeminine trait I've always had that gives me the unquenchable desire to maintain muscle mass.

    My second instinct is... utter admiration. Seriously. I am so impressed. Your dedication to eating raw food is beyond any feat of cuisine that *I* could attempt. I'm too addicted to chocolate and pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, for a 2nd time...February 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM

    Oh, and btw, I'll go to Manhattan with you!! It's only 3 hours from my house. Name the date. Let's do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! I know, I know. protein. my true love. I was going to write you a huge long explanation about my findings on protein but I decided to get technical in my next post and tell you about it there! watch for it!

    as for your admiration...well. Bethany. I just don't know what to say. *blush* and don't say you couldn't do it. I know you could! you went vegan for a week! you could do this with me! ;) and yes, chocolate and pancakes. shoot. why did you bring that up? ...mmm. I shall think about green smoothies instead...

    YES!!! Pure Food and Wine here we come!! I had no idea you were so close to Manhattan. ohgoodness. we can talk about this new adventure when I see you in a few days... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good! I like cold soups sometimes...especially if they contain spinach! Yumm!! :)

    ReplyDelete