Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 11 of 365: A Day in the Life of an Amateur “Raw Foodist."

note: I wrote this yesterday, thus the "day 11" title. even though today is "day 12."

Bananas. Bananas make everything better. I’m not kidding.  Lemme “esplain.”

Thus far during my raw food adventures, I’ve had 3 green smoothies.  The one I drank this morning was, in a word, scrumptious.  I am not making that up. I promise I haven’t become immune to the taste of my “greens.”  It really was delicious.  Even my 11 year old sister tried some and said it was good!  I should have tried this smoothie first, because it was the first ever green smoothie that Victoria Boutenko created.  So…now my addiction to green smoothies has begun. Don’t try to stop me. Here’s the recipe.

2 bananas
5 leaves of kale (torn into pieces)
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
½ cup water (or more as necessary)

Put the bananas in first and add half the kale. Blend up, adding the water if needed.  Add the rest of the kale and blueberries.  Leave the blender on for at least 30 seconds or longer.

It’s like a banana blueberry smoothie. I like to call it Banaberry Smoothie.  I was disappointed when it was gone….and I can’t stop thinking about it. I can’t wait to make another one tomorrow…

For my dinner at work tonight I brought my own version of a Chinese Cabbage salad. I’m gonna try to remember the measurements I used for the dressing so you can recreate it too!

½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2-3 tablespoons coconut soy sauce
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon of ginger
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
½-1 ½ teaspoons cayenne (depending on how hot you like it)
Honey (just enough to taste)

Mix it up! Pour it over about 3 or 4 cups of shredded cabbage.  Throw in some chopped cashews or sunflower seeds for some crunch.

And now it’s time for confession time with Janet…the part of the blog where Janet confesses what she most misses about cooked food.  No, I didn’t actually give in and eat any of these things, but man. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so addicted to cooked food and sugar!  So…the things I miss most.

 1.    Hot buttered popcorn
 2.    Chai tea
 3.    Coffee 
 4.    Chocolate 
 5.    Eggs
 6.    Tuna

There are more things I miss, but those are the things I miss most of all.  The good news is I think the main reason I love eggs and tuna so much is because of the protein. I crave protein all the time.  So that’s easily fixed.  I think I associate popcorn with happy memories.  It’s my comfort food and comfort food can easily become something else. (maybe my new comfort food will be green smoothies? Haha.)  Also, I’m gonna try out a few recipes for a chai shake and see what happens. I’ll let you know. :) And! I can have chocolate. I just need to find raw chocolate. I bought some carob powder, but I have yet to use it…

That’s it for now! I’m working on some original raw recipes….maybe I’ll try them out this weekend!

Chow!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Go, Janet, girl! I'm not sure I could be as brave as you. And Brian would never agree to this kind of diet. I've been bemoaning certain foods, too. You really should come up here sometime. And with Charity and Bethany and other girls, we should have a raw foods, gluten free party! I try to do a lot of raw foods as much as possible...and never overcook veggies--just enough to be fork resistance tender. I have to up my iron count by adding more iron rich foods. I might just try your green smoothie...with cherries instead of blueberries. I love experimenting, and I'll take any recipes you can get. My biggest struggle right now is finding ingredients. Where do you find stores that carry great stuff? Oh, I have some books you should read, too, if you haven't already. I'm trying to put the ones you recommended on hold at the library. Working on another, *technical* post. Some people call us food allergy/avoidance people wimps--but we're power girls! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they do make *raw* coffee--I have seen it before. I have no idea if it's good. But it was at the health food store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet Ruth, you inspire me! Wow. Seriously, you're so creative! Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to go through your blog and make a list of all the cool foods you're using...and then, I'm heading for the grocery store! You're the bestest ;)

    ReplyDelete