Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 26 of 356: Cinnamony

And now it’s time for pity party with Janet….the part of the blog where Janet throws herself… a pity party.
*sniff* I miss cooked food. It’s a craving that creeps up on me. Just when I think I’ve lost it…conquered it….mastered it…it’s there again. Messing with my mind. Every once in a while I get a hankering for a sweet homemade treat.

Okay, okay. I lied. Not every once in a while. More like once or twice a day. Or thrice.

Warm chocolate chip cookies right from the oven. Baklava, a luxury, yes…but I do crave it.  Apple crisp…crunchy oatmeal topping and piping hot cinnamony apples. I just made up that word. Cinnamony. Cinnamony. Fun to say.

I love apple crisp.

I blame this lady- Joy the Baker
What?  I need to put blame somewhere. It’s certainly not my fault!

This may sound blasphemous, but today I attempted to make Apple Crisp…in smoothie form. Before you scoff at me and turn away from your computer, let me just say that while this smoothie is not as warm and homey as the real McCoy…it is pretty delicious.  The recipe is one of those that I thought about beforehand, but as I was making it, I tasted, added more cinnamon. Tasted again, added more honey. Tasted again…blah, blah, blah.  So. I shall give you the recipe as close to what I can remember.  My original thought was to use a frozen banana to make it a little colder, but I decided that since bananas have such a strong flavor, it might not be a good idea. A few frozen strawberries did the trick!

Apple Crisp Smoothie
Makes 2 servings

2 granny smith apples, chopped
½ cup raw oats
½ cup pecans or walnuts
¼ cup honey (I guessed on this. I think I put more than that in…taste it and see!)
Lots o’ cinnamony
A few sprinkles ground cloves
4 frozen strawberries
½ cup almond milk

Blend together until smooth.  Add more almond milk if you need to. Toss in a few more pecans for added crunchiness.  (I also added my daily dose of: 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds and 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil).

Now, if you’re a “texture” person when it comes to food, you might not like this. I think the texture is just fine, but it’s got that “filmy” feel to it from the apples…and it’s relatively thick with the oats thrown in there.  Still. All things considered…I think I’ve got another favorite on my hands!

chow!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I feel your "missing foods" pain, Janet! It's rough. Thumbs up to you, though, for finding "legal" foods to satisfy your cravings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. I read this to Nessa on Saturday and we were like, ohmiword...we should MAKE that! But. We didn't have any apples. And there weren't any that were easily accessible at the time. So we took a raincheck.

    This also makes me think of...oatmeal smoothies! Remember those? So good. I personally love oatmeal in smoothies because you get a bit of a chewy texture. Muy delicious.

    ReplyDelete