Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 15 of 365: A Day in the Life of an Amateur “Raw Foodist.”

Something extraordinary has happened.  And I’m willing to bet the reason is entirely because of this raw food business that I’ve gotten myself into.

One of my scars is gone.

I had a half inch scar across one of my knuckles on my left hand. About half a week ago, I noticed that it was getting darker.  I wasn’t concerned…just curious.  I figured I burned it again and hadn’t noticed. Then yesterday the scar tissue came off! I couldn’t believe it! No scar.  Right now there’s only a faint mark where the new skin is.

how. bout. that. 

Now I’m curious about the other scars I have…

Time for a little dessert action. :) happy news, huh? Very.  This recipe is for chocolate covered Halvah. And just a warning: you must love honey in order to love this dessert.  Note: if you don’t have unhulled sesame seeds (which I didn’t), just use hulled sesame seeds for this recipe.  Also, I had some trouble with it “setting” up. Next time, I’m gonna add more sesame seed “flour”…or go way off track and add almond flour. 

Halvah
2/3 cup unhulled sesame seeds
1 ¼ cups hulled sesame seeds
1 cup raw honey
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt

Blend sesame seeds into powder. Transfer ground seeds into bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly by hand and shape into 1 inch thick rectangular slab. Refrigerate until solid about 1 to 2 hours. Cut into 25 cubes.

If desired (ha! If desired?!), pour chocolate oil over halvah before cutting into cubes.

Chocolate oil
Makes 2 cups
Note: If your coconut oil is solid, just scoop out what you need into a glass measuring cup, then put the measuring cup in very hot water. Works like a charm.

1 ¼ cups coconut oil, warmed to liquefy
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons raw cacao or carob powder
3 ½ tablespoons raw agave nectar
Pinch of salt

Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth and fully emulsified. Store extra in fridge.

Smile. Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.

4 comments:

  1. Bethany - also, Stu, to some...February 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM

    Ohmyword... das awesome! That's like a Master Cleanse story. I suppose, though, that a raw food diet is kinda like a Master Cleanse to the maxx so I shouldn't be surprised. :)

    Chocolate?! You can have chocolate?? Janet. Maybe I *could* do this! I've no idea what the difference is between a hulled sesame seed and an unhulled sesame seed... but if it was covered in chocolate sauce, I'd probably eat it either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STU!!! :) yeah, I was pretty pumped about that. kinda in awe of God too. ;)

    yes. chocolate. it's amazing. and I have no idea what the difference is either, but the Halvah is incredible. I'm bringing you some. oh oh! I found a recipe for Chocolate Torte. I'm totally making it. someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! Just going gluten free I've had some sores just magically disappear! Oh--I tried your green smoothie--it's great! Brian liked it, but still doesn't want to drink one. I made one this morning, added all my vitamins, some other frozen fruit, flax seeds, and cocoa powder... It will probably be my daily drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, Janet! Simply brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete