Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 14 of 365: A Day in the Life of an Amateur “Raw Foodist.”

Since I've started this “diet,” I’ve had a few people ask me how I get my protein. Even though I’m a “protein” person, going on this vegan raw diet didn't have me too terribly worried…mostly cause I knew I could have nuts and seeds.  Plus, in all of the testimonials I read, people kept raving about how good they felt and how much energy they had.  I've been reading profusely about the approach to raw food. I am learning so much...for example, did you know that the foods that we think of as the best sources of protein don’t actually create protein in our bodies? Amino acids create protein in our body...and the best source of amino acids is leafy greens! Like kale and spinach. Who knew?! I certainly didn’t.  I must have been skimmed that section of my biology book….*slap on the wrist*

When we eat “normal” sources of protein, like chicken, fish, and beef, we’re not getting as much protein as we think we are.  Let’s take chicken, for example. Did you know that when you cook a chicken breast, half of the protein content is destroyed? Sad day.  And now your body has to process a heavy, dense form of protein—it can take up to 100 hours to digest and assimilate! So how much protein will your body actually get from said chicken? A few grams at best.

On the opposite side…a salad of uncooked greens and sprouts may only have a few grams of protein, but you can digest and assimilate all of it because all the vitamins, minerals, and enzymes are intact.

I wanna share something that’s been on my heart for a few days… Something I’ve noticed about eating healthy and raw is the tendency to sometimes “look down” on those who don’t eat the same way. I don’t want to be guilty of this.  The other day in the grocery store, I had a little box full of fruits and veggies….but I was analyzing the cart of the lady in front of me, mentally going through everything she was buying and listing in my brain the reasons it was “bad.”  The reason I put “bad” in quotation marks is because to her, it’s not necessarily bad…it’s just where she is right now.  I realize that mentally analyzing someone’s cart isn’t horribly wrong….but I need to have a mindset of being sensitive to others. Not everyone is in the same place and I need to respect that.  I don’t want to push anyone away from a healthy lifestyle because of any kind of “attitude” I have.

Janet the Rabbit. I was just called this the other day. I was hopping up and down in a futile attempt to get warm and my little sister called me a rabbit. “You eat green things and you jump up and down!”  Oh of course. Why didn’t I think of that?!  I guess I should be happy. They notice that I’m eating…strange things.  Hmm…maybe one of these days I’ll have all of them hooked on my green smoothies. ;)  Raw eating does give me a high and often times I find myself grinning from ear to ear for no reason!  No, I take that back. There are reasons. I’m just so thrilled to be alive…and incredibly grateful for all the blessings God has given me!

chow! 

pssst! tomorrow is my 2 week mark of being raw! :) Oh! and for those of you who are interested...there's a free online health debate going on this week. Here's the website where you can find more info!

4 comments:

  1. I just studied proteins in my health and nutrition course...this info wasn't listed, and that means, I'm adding it to my notes myself! By the way, I think Janet the Rabbit is oh so very cute! Oh, AND, I can totally relate to the bouncing off the walls feeling you mentioned! Today has, for sure, been one of those days ever since I woke up this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I give you permission to call me Janet the Rabbit. ;)
    hooray for "bouncing off the walls" days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate no idea that whenever meat is cooked, half the protein is destroyed. That's crazy!

    It's wonderful how eating raw gives you a high, and it's also great that you're respectful, open, and tolerant of other people and how they eat. :)

    We're a diverse bunch, and while I may never follow a raw food diet, I certainly do enjoy a lot of raw foods and am open to learning more and trying new things. That's why I really enjoy your blog. :)

    I bookmarked that Mediterranean soup recipe of yours by the way. I definitely want to give that a try this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww! Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Sheila! I appreciate it! :) I really enjoy your blog too. I'm always being inspired by you!

    I meant to tell you that I made your Nutty Oatmeal Cookie Dough Bites. They were DIVINE! I wanted to blog about it and take some pictures, but they disappeared too fast. ;)

    ReplyDelete