Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Super ingredients: part 2, "the others"

I am a horrible blog updater. I will do everything in my power to not let this happen again. Forgive me. Like I said last time I gave you a “technical” post, I’m trying to make this as non-boring as possible. Bear with me…

These aren’t superfoods in the “normal" sense of the word…these are my superfoods. Foods that make me feel super!!
btw, BRowe...the title is for you, dear. ;)

Bananas are a raw foodist BEST friend. Seriously folks. Talk about a meal on the go. It even comes wrapped! They have protein and fiber (yay!)… and they are the base for all of my green smoothies. I eat way too many bananas…moving on…

Mangoes are just delicious. They are sweet and fresh tasting and bright. Mangos make me happy. They are good by themselves or in smoothies. They’re high in C and A. Interesting facts about mangos: they are distantly related to cashews and pistachios. Also, more mangos are eaten every day than any other fruit in the world. Pretty radical.  Whenever I have a mango, I always imagine a dense, humid rainforest or bustling Latin marketplace.  I bought 5 champagne mangos today at Whole Foods, cause they were on sale. Have you ever had a champagne mango? They are “da bomb” (said by my bagging friend at Whole Foods). Bring on the smiles.

Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which means more of that anti aging stuff. :) Technically, you only need one of these tasty nuts per day. But I definitely find excuses to eat more than that. They also have high amounts of vitamin E, which is great for the skin. I love chopping up Brazil nuts to put in my trail mix.

Buckwheat. Unlike its name implies, buckwheat is not a grain…it’s a fruit seed! And it’s gluten free. This unassuming little kernel is a powerhouse of nutrients, but I consume it for its protein. Buckwheat is incredibly easy to sprout. I use it in my kefir smoothies and to make Buckwheat Brownies…that recipe is coming soon. Promise.

Sesame seeds are amazing to use in desserts. They have a fabulous nutty flavor.  The boring, but cool facts are that they are rich in calcium, magnesium, iron, and lots of other stuff, including protein. As some of you already know, I like making Halvah and Bumble Bars with sesame seeds… yay dessert!!

Quinoa, once called “the gold of the Incas,” is a complete protein, which means it has all nine essential amino acids!  Sprout it to make it come alive! :) Something else I found interesting: quinoa is a good source of manganese, which facilitates protein and carbohydrate metabolism. When I looked up “manganese,” it amazed me how many things can be helped or prevented with the addition of this mineral. Things like: allergies, asthma, diabetes, heart disease, learning disabilities... the list goes on and on! I’m fascinated by God’s design.

Nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast, yellow in color with a nutty cheesy flavor.  It’s high in B12 (that long-sought-after-hard-to-get-vitamin-for-vegans)…which is my excuse for consuming it on a regular basis. It’s grown exclusively for its nutritional value. And people, it really does remind me of cheese...it is utterly scrumptious on salads or raw “popcorn!”  You can find it at health food stores, especially in the bulk section at Whole Foods.  Just make sure you don’t get confused and buy Brewer’s Yeast. Ridiculously nasty.

Be back soon...
chow!

4 comments:

  1. very well-written, janet! :) i like all the little details about these super foods! fun stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for nutritional yeast at Whole Foods but haven't been able to find it. Thanks for telling me where to look for it. :)

    Mangoes are related to cashews and pistachios? I had no idea!

    I haven't tried buckwheat flour in forever. I need to remedy that. Thanks for all the great info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bethany: aw! thanks, dear. :) I had fun writing it!

    @Sheila: hey, good to hear from you! did you find the nutritional yeast? I was just as shocked as you about the mango fact! so random. I had such a great time learning all this new stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I went to the grocery store today, but I totally forgot to look for the nutritional yeast.

    I got very sick last night (I had a reaction to some medicine my doc prescribed for me) and when I felt well enough to run out to the store with my honey, we just picked up some basic stuff and left. I was feeling so weak and shaky...just wanted to get home and rest.

    Anyway, it's on my list so I'll get it next week. I've seen a lot of recipes that call for it, and I'm curious to try it out. Thanks again! sheila

    ReplyDelete